Little store, big store

 

I like how this picture shows both of the stores together, but I probably would have cut it if it hadn't helped me figure out what's going on with the gas price signs! Traditional manual signs have a specific look to them, with plastic numbers that slide into channels built into the sign face; these signs clearly aren't built that way, and the even, wide gaps between the numbers also aren't what you would normally see with a manual sign. When I zoomed in on this picture, I was able to spot the Skyline Products logo on the bottom, a logo that I am familiar with from variable message signs on the road, which also wouldn't make sense for a truly manual sign. Well, I looked them up, and it turns out that they sell what they call "scroll signs" for gas stations, which seem to basically use the same technology as the rollsigns that used to be common on buses and trains. So that's kind of neat! I'm still guessing this store only used these because of local sign regulations, since basically everyone else still uses standard LED signs, which I have to imagine are cheaper and lower-maintenance, but who knows, maybe we'll start seeing these pop up at other Safeways.

Comments

  1. I'm glad to have confirmation that my "scroll" theory was correct! A lot of Walmart and QuickTrip gas stations in Georgia use the scroll signs so I'm surprised they aren't more common in Washington. Well, I suppose neither of those chains really exist in your neck of the woods . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have those chains (there are a small number of Walmart gas stations around here, but the only time I've ever visited one was down in California), but we do have Fred Meyer! They used to use signs like these very frequently at their gas stations, but (like seemingly everyone else) their newer locations have LED price displays, so I always thought those sort of automated, non-LED displays were a thing of the past, like the flipper displays that were also once a thing at some gas stations (mostly for billboard-sized signs). It was only when I saw the Skyline Products logo on this one that I was able to actually look up what it was, and figure out that it is actually still a current product!

      Delete

Post a Comment