Stepping inside

While this may be just the second-oldest remaining local Safeway (and 3rd-oldest I've ever visited, as far as I'm aware), this store certainly has the most vintage-looking interior of any I've seen! (The former U District store was doubled in size at some point and had a somewhat modernized interior; the Othello, Seattle store is the current oldest I'm aware of but has a more modern-looking interior which may or may not be original.) The 50s seems to be the first era of open ceilings in grocery stores, though the stores from that era were pretty much universally built completely different from modern ones (wood beams rather than metal trusses), so the effect is quote different. Still, as old-fashioned as this looks, I much prefer it over the fairly low drop ceilings those two older stores I mentioned ended up with!

Comments