Clothes in the pharmacy

Hispanic grocery stores like this aren't super common in this area, but this one still seems to follow most of the trends associated with them in regions where they are much more common -- chief among those being the large number of small leased-out spaces throughout the place. In one of the larger modifications Campeon made to this store, they subdivided the former pharmacy box into several of those, and even removed part of the wall facing the entryway to accommodate two of them -- an unsigned clothing store, and a Dish/DirecTV/Xfinity storefront (it's always amusing to see places that serve a bunch of TV/telecom companies that are in direct competition!). 


Oh, before I forget (since I did yesterday), a programming note about this set. While my backlog is very long (as I frequently complain about), I'm actually facing a shortage of sets for the weekday "long set" slot -- and almost all of them are malls, Fred Meyers, or Safeway remodels, and I generally try to space out sets of the same brand or type of place as much as I can. Therefore, this time I'm experimenting with combining a couple related short sets into one long set, and we'll see how it goes. In the future, I'm probably going to make some larger revisions to my format, either dropping the long set/short set distinction altogether or adjusting the number of days per week I dedicate to each format to balance things out a bit better.

Comments

  1. You're right that it is pretty common for Hispanic grocers to lease out spaces at the front of the store. Fiesta Mart here in Houston has been doing that since the 1980s and El Rancho has done that with their locations as well. It was strange seeing the El Rancho in the old Randall's I went to a few weeks ago with so many lease spots up front! In some ways, it looks very anti-Safeway, but I guess that Safeway would have had a Wells Fargo bank up there at the very least. And, yes, it seems that one of the leased spots at a Hispanic grocer is almost always some place selling multiple brands of cable TV and phone service, lol. Usually a place selling soccer uniforms is common as well along with nail salons and jewelry stores.

    I suppose this is Grocery Palace week as Mike from HHR posted something about the Grocery Palace Food Town in Houston today. Beverage Boulevard is still alive over there! Link: https://houstonhistoricretail.com/2022/06/01/the-best-food-town-ive-ever-been-to-the-grocery-palace/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it seems to be pretty much universal. It's pretty un-Albertsons-like too, but then again, I think Walmart is pretty much the only major chain that has a large number of leased spaces in their stores (and they haven't been doing a very good job of filling them in recent years anyway). Interesting to hear that the telecom store is a common trait itself!

      That's a very cool store! I've been to three Grocery Palace stores with varying amounts of decor remaining (including this one), but I've never seen any of the hanging props, sadly. The neon pharmacy sign is also an odd touch!

      Delete

Post a Comment