Clock and plaque

Turning back to the elevator bank, here's a look at the centerpiece clock and plaque. I don't know how, since I loved looking at the elevator bank on my many visits to this store, but I never once noticed the plaque in person, only realizing I had a picture showing it when I saw it in a picture on Google Maps after the store closed (that picture is below). Josephine McDermott (originally Nordhoff) was one of the original founders of the Bon Marche, and died shortly before this building was built, so I'm guessing this plaque is original to the store (unlike the other art pieces). The little reading lamp above the elevator signage is a cute touch -- I wonder what originally would have been here that it would have illuminated, since this signage only dates back to the store's downsizing in the 2010s.

Comments