Dead star

Strangely, the Macy's christmas star was left in place well after christmas, possibly all the way until the store closed. This year, with the store gone, the star was rebuilt, and is now as techie tacky as you'd expect, with programmable color-changing LED lights. Don't get me wrong, I love color-changing LED lights -- this year was the first year I was able to have christmas lights of my own, since I have a balcony in my new place, and I bought a string of color-changing ones -- but it just seems wrong in such a long-term, classic installation. Oh, and as you can see there, almost a year after the store closed (and after much of the interior seems to have been destroyed, from what I can tell), the Macy's signs are still up on the building. That's not unprecedented -- the Bed Bath & Beyond a block away also still has its signs up, and that store closed a year before this one -- but it's still weird, especially on such an iconic building. 


That's it for this visit! I've decided that I'm going to take a little break for the holidays this year -- posts will resume on the 28th at the latest, but possibly a bit earlier than that depending on what I feel like next week. Have a good week, everyone!

Comments