The "alien communicator" payphone was particularly goofy. I guess this was meant to appeal to nostalgia in older audiences, unless payphones have become cool again when I wasn't looking. I grew up when they were slowly on their way out and having to use one was always an inconvenience (well, finding one was the real inconvenience, but it's obvious why most people did what my family didn't and switched to cell phones as soon as they became practical). The panel on the right tells the legend that this whole setup is based on.
Huh, that looks like an actual payphone. I wonder if it was actually operational. I doubt payphones will ever become cool again, aside from some cities (including Houston) who think it is cool to put up British style phone booths in the city as random decorations. I'm not sure why they think that is a good idea! I'm not even sure if modern people could use payphones as it requires remembering phone numbers!
ReplyDelete