Front end


Obviously, the limited number of checkouts wasn't an issue on this visit, with no one in line for the two open lanes! The darkness outside makes it look like I was here in the middle of the night, but it was just 5:45 on a weekend evening, so I'm surprised there weren't many people here. When I go to my local Safeway around that time of day, it's normally fairly busy. This must just not be a particularly high-volume store. 

Comments

  1. Anonymous in HoustonAugust 15, 2026 at 9:24 PM

    The similarities between this Safeway and my local Randall's continue! If my local Randall's has two checkout lanes open, usually the lines aren't long. Things are usually a bit busier than what's in the photo here, but not by a lot. Usually the after-work crowd at Randall's mostly consists of unaccompanied men wanting to avoid the hassles of the busier stores in the area.

    This is not to say every Randall's is like that, as some get very busy, but mine usually isn't one of those! Things have been a bit busier at my local Randall's ever since one of the two nearby Krogers recently closed without replacement.

    Speaking of Kroger, I've been having a bit of a feud with them the last couple of weeks! I simply cannot get the Kroger website to load on my Linux desktop or my laptop in either Firefox or Chromium. It always gives the same error, 'too many requests'. At first I thought they were blocking my IP, but I realized the Kroger website does load on my phone using Wi-Fi, so it can't be that. I tried changing my user agent in my browser so it doesn't shop up as Linux, but I still can't get it to work. It does work fine on my Windows PC at work though, at least in Chrome.

    I don't like loading digital coupons using my phone, so I've reacted by simply boycotting Kroger until I can get their website to load! Shopping at Randall's is a good alternative, but it is a bit of a drive for me and they don't have everything I need so I've been trying some other alternatives. I tried HEB and Aldi last week and Walmart and Fiesta Mart this week. Fiesta wasn't bad, but they don't sell everything, so it is like Randlal's in that regard. Walmart was absolutely horrible. They had run out of grocery staples and what they did have wasn't marked correctly on the shelves. HEB is better than Walmart by far, but the shopping environment is still terrible. Aldi, surprisingly, wasn't bad and they had some stuff that even Randall's doesn't have. Maybe a mix of Randall's and Aldi will be good until Kroger gets their act together, but unfortunately there really isn't an Aldi near my local Randall's or one which is on the way to/from there. We'll see how this goes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment