Plenty of plants, but no people

Looking towards the back of the long, skinny garden center, it's obvious just how deserted this place is. The rest of the store was decently busy, but no one was interested in plants apparently. I wonder if the constant droughts in this region have turned people off gardening... or maybe Fresno just has other, more popular spots to buy garden supplies. (There is a Home Depot just down the street with a much larger garden center, though I would prefer even Walmart over Home Depot/Lowes!)

Comments

  1. Anonymous in HoustonOctober 4, 2024 at 10:23 PM

    As far as garden centers go, I'd much rather buy stuff from Home Depot or Lowe's than Walmart. Not only does Home Lowe's have more stuff, but I bought something from the Walmart garden center a few years ago and it attracted bugs and died quite quickly. I can't say I've had that problem with stuff from anywhere else!

    That said, the Walmart garden center did come to the rescue a few years ago when I needed some flower bed edging bricks. I thought the kind I normally use are pretty common, but I couldn't find them anywhere other than Walmart who had a bunch of them in their parking lot pallets of garden center stuff they set out in the spring. I almost didn't check Walmart, but I'm glad I did in that instance at least.

    Aside from Home Lowe's, we have a couple of local garden center chains so, at best, Walmart would be no. 5 on my list of places to shop for garden center stuff! Sometimes Kroger has some stuff too (though surely Fred Meyer would have more) and I'd be more likely to buy from them than Walmart too so, well, make Walmart no. 6 then, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh... I just can't stand the big box hardware stores for no particular reason. I know a lot of people who feel that way about Walmart, but it's Home Depot and Lowe's that I have a knee-jerk reaction to! Fred Meyer used to have really good garden centers, but (like all of their general-merchandise departments) they've really gone downhill in recent years.

      Delete

Post a Comment