Jim Pattison owns everything

I had to look it up -- yep, the radio station advertised on the billboard here is owned by the Jim Pattison Group, which also owns Save-On-Foods, Real Canadian Superstore's direct competitor in BC. Of course, Jim Pattison probably also owns the billboard it's being advertised on! And I suppose that's all less ironic than one of the other billboards displaying an ad for Walmart (an even more direct competitor)! Anyway, from this angle, you can see the interesting asymmetrical design of the gas station canopy -- the cable-stays mean that there aren't any of the normal columns supporting it, but considering how much space there is between the right edge of the canopy and the cables, I bet there's some structure in the kiosk providing part of the support. 


Anyway, that's it for this store! I mentioned at the start that I was planning another trip to Vancouver for this summer -- well, I haven't made any progress on those plans, so we'll see if/when that actually happens. But I know I'll be back next week with another new set, probably something of the Safeway variety.

Comments

  1. Anonymous in HoustonJune 3, 2024 at 8:25 PM

    Ha, you'd be surprised about how much the Jim Pattison Group owns in the US including that Roth's Fresh Market I visited in Salem, OR last year! BTW, if you're ever in Salem, you ought to visit one of those stores unless Jim Pattison has wrecked them, but I guess if you like Save-On, the Roth's probably ought to be okay.

    When I think of Vancouver, I usually don't think of country music, but I was surprised at the popularity of country music in Canada during my visits. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, Anne Murray is from there, but I don't know if she sung 'Hell Yeah' music. Granted, I might be biased a bit by things I heard in Alberta. They try to act more like Texans than actual Texans! It was really quite bizarre, but I guess that doesn't have much to do with Vancouver, lol.

    There is a Subaru in this photo and that is unusual for a Canadian photo! In this case, it isn't the typical Subaru SUV that you'd see in Washington, but a Impreza WRX! And a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, or some kind of sporty Lancer version, appears to be parked next to it. Huh, strange, those two cars are considered to be big rivals just like the Camaro and Mustang. I guess the Vancouver all-wheel drive sporty compact sedan fan club likes shopping at the Real Canadian Superstore, lol.

    I wonder if any southern Washington residents are hoping that you saying you're going to visit Vancouver means that you're going their way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We'll see if I get back to Oregon/southern Washington one day. I'm sure I will, but it's not really at the top of my vacation list right now!

      Yeah, Alberta and the rest of those central Canadian provinces are certainly... interesting. Of course, most of the US states between them and Texas are interesting too! I have some relatives in North Dakota, and I've heard some odd stories about them.

      Delete

Post a Comment