Centro Italia

 

I'm not 100% sure how to translate the name of the department under the moving ramp, but I think it's something along the lines of "The Central Italian Farmers' Market" ("produttori" is a broader term than "farmers", but "farmers' market" is a broader term too). The concept may have been lost in translation (or just lost on me), since it seems to be a weird combination of produce, baked goods, and other stuff, both service and self-service. Listen, I find even American upscale grocery stores confusing at times -- throw a different language and culture in the mix (even a place I'm fairly familiar with like Italy) and sometimes I don't even know where to start!

Comments

  1. Anonymous in HoustonApril 17, 2024 at 9:09 PM

    Ha, I'm just surprised to see a produce department on this blog which isn't using "Fresh from the Fields" as a name for their produce departments or some kind of translation of that! I wonder if the Central Italian name is more accurate here than all the produce departments here in Texas that say Texas all over the place, but most of the products are from elsewhere (usually from Central or South America). Perhaps Italians are a little more picky about such things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's one thing for Kroger to rip off Safeway, but it would be something else to see "fresh from the fields" pop up in a whole different continent!

      I think the "Centro Italia" thing (which isn't how Central Italy would normally be translated -- that would be Italia Centrale -- so I'm not 100% sure that's an accurate translation of what the sign is meant to say) is just referring to the service counter and related stuff in the middle of the store, not to the whole produce department. I'm sure a lot of the produce is Italian, but not all of it!

      Delete

Post a Comment