I'm pretty sure pound cake isn't a health food, even if it's sugar-free

 

The bakery takes up most of the wall space within the grand aisle, with most of that devoid of decor (other than that vertical paneling) -- one of the only spots in the store without some sort of filler decor on the wall. At least there are some wheat stencils towards the far end of the wall, vaguely reminiscent of Bountiful. I'm not a big fan of the countertop-style donut and bread cases Kroger is using these days -- I assume they think they're a classy look, but to me they look like something from a convenience store, or at least a small old grocery store without a proper bakery.

The sign in the foreground reminds me of how basically every grocery store I visited in California had those dirt-cheap, but still quite good, rolls available in the bakery. An equivalent roll would cost a whole dollar at Safeway around here, and QFC's website won't tell me how much they sell them for but their bakeries tend to be similarly overpriced to Safeway's.

Comments

  1. Anonymous in HoustonOctober 22, 2023 at 9:52 PM

    Bolillos are very common in Houston, including Kroger and Randall's, and they are similarly quite cheap. They have become so popular in this area, perhaps because of their price, that there have been complaints that the only kind of fresh-baked rolls that stores here have are bolillos. HEB's slogan is 'Here Everything's Better', but some people have said it should be 'Here Everything's Bolillos', lol. Bolillos are perfectly fine for sandwiches and such unless someone specifically wants something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I quite like them too -- I just wish they weren't such a ripoff price in the northwest!

      Delete

Post a Comment