Welcome to the Hilltop (Tacoma) Safeway!

I feel like I've been posting a lot of newer Safeways recently, so it's time for something a bit more vintage -- and this store certainly fits the bill, at least when it comes to the building age, as its 1956 build date makes it, as far as I know, the second-oldest Safeway in the Seattle region to have never had an expansion or other major modification (and quite likely the second-oldest overall, but I've sometimes been surprised by stores being significantly older than I would have guessed). And while the decor in this store has been updated plenty of times over the years, it still retains a lot of vintage feel inside!

Comments

  1. 1956! That's truly remarkable. I suspect that if Safeway came to Houston in 1955 as they initially planned (there were anti-competitive issues, supposedly, which forced them to delay their entry until 1969), the initial stores would have looked like this. Oddly enough, this looks more modern than what those 1969-1970s Safeways looked like! Granted, this is smaller, of course.

    I'm interested to see how this looks inside. This should be an interesting one. Also, this might be the first time you did a parking lot overview of a NW supermarket and there isn't a Subaru to be seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably! It's too bad that whatever those issues were delayed your area's Safeways beyond the Marina era.

      Haha, this is at least the second time since you've commented on that one time before! That store was in Eastern Washington, though -- it's a lot more surprising on this side of the Cascades. Though the car behind the black pickup truck looks like it might be a Crosstrek or Impreza!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I guess I'm losing track of these Subaru oddities, lol. They still aren't that common! That said, after I posted this, I saw in another photo that there is a Subaru Legacy hiding in front of that Range Rover. Oh well, I knew it was impossible for there to be that many cars in a parking lot and not have a single Subaru. I suppose there might be another one in front of the truck as you say.

      Delete
    3. Maybe one day I need to go through my pictures and see how many stores really don't have any Subarus visible in the parking lot! 😃 Though I probably would have missed that Legacy, since it's not the most distinctive looking car.

      Delete

Post a Comment