Paraline land

The natural foods department is the front-most one on the left wall, butting up against the "main" entrance, customer service department, and second bank of checkouts. This part of the store has yet another ceiling type, and probably the weirdest one -- Paraline ceilings, a decorative (in theory) ceiling type that was very popular in malls in the 70s-80s (though I'm most familiar with it due to its use in the 70s-era parts of SeaTac Airport). The lighting fixtures are linear ones built in to the ceiling system, just like at the airport.

Comments

  1. Huh, I had no idea that style of ceiling had a name. I have seen Paraline ceilings at malls and some other retailers, but you're right to mention an airport because I do remember quite vividly the Frankfurt Main (FRA) airport in Germany having those in the 1980s and early 1990s when I was there. I was also there in the mid-2000s, but I can't remember if they still had that style of ceiling. Probably, this photo seems modern and it still has that type of ceiling. It's not exactly the same as what Fred Meyer has, but it's similar: https://www.hessenfilm.de/fileadmin/locations/am_mg_1176_f%C3%BCr_jede_Rolltreppe_ein_Plan_B__Fraport_AG.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not a common name, just a brand name (and I don't even know if it's the only brand that made ceilings like that), but it's still nice to have a name to reference! I only know the name because I've seen it discussed in the context of SeaTac. That ceiling in Frankfurt looks quite interesting too -- not quite the same (looks more dimensional/less flat), but certainly the same concept.

      Delete

Post a Comment