🐟 🍷

 

Speaking of strange design choices, something that I believe is unique to this particular store is these backlit pictograph signs. I'm really not a fan of these, and I suspect QFC agreed with me since they did not show up in the other two Mercer stores. I think the concept was interesting, but there are a lot of issues and oddities here -- the pictographs (in addition to just being ugly) don't appear to have any connection to the department they are in (except for a few wine-related ones in the liquor department, and that may well be a coincidence), and the backlit design without a full lightbox setup looks quite odd on such a small sign (I suspect it could be done better today with LED panel backlights, but these just used standard florescent tube fixtures). Seeing as this decor appears to have been designed immediately prior to Bountiful, I have to wonder if these things were an inspiration in some way for that decor's (far superior) lightbox elements.

Comments

  1. It wouldn't be a Northwest Kroger design without some clip art somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's not just northwest regional ones -- Fresh Fare (particularly the non-QFC version) made extensive use of pictographs.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link, and interesting theory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment