Welcome to the Kent Grocery Outlet!

And welcome to my mid-century modern grocery stores series! I think I've mentioned this before, but Safeway's Marina model is my all-time favorite standard grocery store design (there are some really cool one-offs, of course, and some neat designs in other areas, but among major-chain designs with hundreds of examples built, there's no competition in my mind in this region). This particular example was built sometime in the very early 1960s (the property records say 1975, which is obviously wrong since Historic Aerials show it in operation by 1964), which makes it one of the first Marina stores built after the prototype opened in 1959. While it's no longer a Safeway, this is the most well-preserved Marina store remaining in the Seattle area that I've come across.

Comments