Seafood (and I suppose that paint might be seafoam...)

I'm not sure if it was due to the closing or just a lack of appropriate merchandise, but the missing seasonal displays back in this corner make this picture look weirdly empty! The floor scars seem to indicate that it's quite unusual for there to not be a display here... or perhaps they just typically put random stuff here to cover the messed-up tile.

The lady at the seafood counter was clearly in a very intent conversation with the employee here, looking at all sorts of different fish available from the large service counter. Sadly, despite the new store being a whopping 50,000 square feet compared to this store's 25,000, it doesn't look like Kroger found the space to keep this feature, instead consolidating down to a standard-sized meat and seafood department, probably less than half the size of what this store has. (I'm sure a certain mid-southerner is laughing at me right now about the store sizes, but 50,000sf is above average for Northwest grocery stores and absolutely massive for QFC!) It really does sometimes feel like QFC is starting to give up on its core grocery business to focus on hot foods and that sort of thing... I guess that must be where the profit is these days.

Comments

  1. Who, me? 😂

    That's a shame about the seafood counter consolidation, but not unexpected I suppose, since it seems those are just as commonly excluded entirely sometimes. I guess they just must not do great business. Unlike, as you said, hot foods apparently do. That stuff is taking off rapidly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who else? 😉

      Yep, sounds about right. It did seem fairly popular the two times I was there, but, of course, popularity doesn't mean profitability...

      Delete

Post a Comment