Goodbye, Fred Meyer Burlingame!

While it may not look quite as cool as the road sign, the Fred Meyer sign on the north facade is also certainly vintage, though I'm not sure if it's quite original. As with everything at this store, there's an interesting history here: while the Fred Meyer lettering was present prior to the remodel, the Burlingame text appears to have been uncovered during demolition (scroll most of the way to the bottom) and then recreated in the finished product. The large structure in front, by the way, is a very elaborate pickup setup, branded, intriguingly, as "Fred Meyer Online Shopping", a brand name that must predate Clicklist and the current Fred Meyer Pickup.

Oh, and one last thing I almost forgot -- while these are the first of my Portland photos that I posted, they aren't the first online -- Retail Retell posted a mini-set from the trip over on his  Mid-South Retail Blog a few weeks back. (Of course, the five or so of you who actually read this probably already saw them, but I thought I should probably drop a mention here anyways!)

Next up: a return to something we saw quite some time ago...

Comments

  1. Thanks for the link! That's a very cool post at that other blog, too. Neat that that Burlingame text was added to the plans after it was uncovered - that's dedication! I wouldn't expect existing plans to be altered once they're set in place, so that's pretty amazing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I suppose it's possible that they knew about the sign before construction, but it also seems like it wouldn't be that big of a change to add it in the middle (I mean, I've seen much bigger changes from the plans, like in the Gig Harbor Fred Meyer we saw a couple weeks back).

      Also, not sure why this post is showing up out of order! It wasn't last night. I so wish Blogger had a way to reorder posts rather than just randomly messing with things until they maybe come out right (I've had this issue before, but I really can't seem to figure out how to fix it this time...).

      Delete
    2. I would say try to change the date on the post (as I did that once before with a press release sent in to my blog, trying to move it to the front of the line a month after I'd already posted it), but since these were all on the same day I'm not sure if that trick would work :/

      Delete
    3. Hey, that worked! I never realized you could change a date after the fact 🙂

      Looks like there's an option to change the time too, so that might help with the multiple posts in one day issue. But it worked without me doing anything this time, so I won't mess with it any more!

      Delete

Post a Comment