Back outside

Here's the right-hand entrance to the store, looking just as decrepit as the rest of the place. I'm not sure at all how this place is still open, especially with Albertsons having closed tons of stores in Washington both before and after the Safeway merger. Beyond that, the land it's sitting on is valued at nearly 6 million dollars (admittedly, somewhat low for a grocery store in Seattle, but still). I suspect that part of what has saved it is its location in NIMBY-land Magnolia where any redevelopment efforts would face massive opposition (heck, there was even NIMBY opposition to the original construction of this store) -- but, of course, stores close down without immediate prospects of redevelopment all the time.

As I've mentioned before, I'll probably make it back to this store to get better pictures at some point... but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a store closing sale going on at the same time.

Comments