Express express express express


The self checkout area had seemingly just been redone on my visit, featuring the then-new corral-style layout (which has since become standard for most Safeways) and some fancy new drink cases along the actionway. This is the other thing I mentioned towards the start of the set that made me think this store's remodel was just about to start (along with the awkward produce setup), as the old express lane signs (with an oddly generous 20-item limit on all four lanes) were still in place, hanging above the self checkouts. 

Comments

  1. Anonymous in HoustonAugust 25, 2026 at 8:21 PM

    20 item limit? I'm not sure if I've ever seen an express lane with such a high limit! I wonder what the story is there as to why this Safeway decided to have a potentially not-so-express express lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back when Safeways often had a large number of express lanes (3-4), it was common for them to have different limits (the half-size ones would have lower limits than the full-size ones). Sometimes the higher limit would be 20, but they would still have other lanes that were 10 or 15. Having the high limit on all four of them is quite strange!

      Delete

Post a Comment