She's staring into your soul

 

That title goes to the giant overhead cosmetics sign, featuring a giant face (well, really just a pair of eyes and a nose on a wedge-shaped background) with the department name in an arc around the top with a metallic background. This is an extremely strange piece which has a distinct Grocery Palace flair to it (I can't imagine this being from Save Mart) but which doesn't seem to have been present in any other well-documented Grocery Palace store. Like the floor, this looks a bit Rite Aid-y, though this probably predates that Rite Aid sign (I'm not entirely sure when that Rite Aid decor first appered, however). 

I don't know much about where this might have come from, but I know it's probably going to show up in my nightmares tonight! 😉

Comments

  1. Anonymous in HoustonJuly 15, 2024 at 11:07 PM

    Oh no, the mysterious fading cosmetics face! It was bad enough yesterday in the diapers photo, but this is even worse. I agree, although this does look kind of Grocery Palace-esque, I can't say I remember seeing something like this at a Grocery Palace. Perhaps it is something obscure or maybe I just intentionally blocked this aspect of Grocery Palace from my memory. I can certainly see why I would want to do that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't understand how anyone ever thought this was a good idea!

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty sure this was a Grocery Palace sign. I've seen a slightly different cosmetics sign before, but there's a really strong Grocery Palace aesthatic to it. Cosmetics signs appears to be one that Albertsons ripped out in a lot of Grocery Palace "refreshes" in the late 2000's in the stores that still had them. Grocery Palace stores opened with rather large HBA departments that included things like fancy perfumes and higher-end cosmetics selections, a lot of which was removed for a more standard selection later on.

    Still though, the horror this sign probably inflicted in most shoppers was a good enough reason to get rid of it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That explains why Albertsons would have had such a large cosmetics sign, at least! I had been wondering about that, since I don't remember them having much more than any other grocery store. (Sadly, I never visited a Grocery Palace store growing up.) I don't know why Save Mart never got rid of this one, since it's not like they have a large cosmetics section at all!

      Delete
  3. I'd suggest googling Lady Cassandra from Doctor Who, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment