SELF-SCAN

Like most QFCs (and Krogers in general), the front end is dominated by a ton of self checkouts, though the typical Bountiful+ cubes are missing here, replaced by an abundance of surveillance cameras and monitors. The self checkout setup was expanded in recent years, but the original sign was left in place, which is good because it's another early-Bountiful oddity, clearly not being the sign that belongs to this decor package -- I'm guessing this is from Script instead, which is pretty surprising since Kroger never used Script in the northwest, since QFC used Fresh Fare and Fred Meyer still did their own thing (which was kind of similar to Script, but not the same package) at that point. The remodel plans from 2009 show a standard Bountiful sign being installed, but Kroger being Kroger, I'm guessing they didn't have one in stock at the time and decided to just improvise!

Comments

  1. Anonymous in HoustonApril 27, 2024 at 9:54 PM

    "We like to see you smile." Huh, that is one strange Bountiful sign! It is even more strange given that Kroger usually doesn't induce too many smiles, lol.

    59 cents/lb. for bananas isn't a crazy price given that I think Publix in Florida usually charges 69 cents I think. It says that is a sale price though, but I never see Kroger put bananas on sale here. Of course, they are at 49 cents/lb. here so I guess there isn't much room to go lower.

    That looks like Script's design, but I've never actually seen a Script self-checkout sign quite like that. Then again, Script wasn't really around here when the self-checkouts were starting to really be pushed so maybe that is the reason for that. Still, we did have Script self-checkout signs, just not like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely a strange slogan! A few Bountiful QFCs have that sign, and I think I've made fun of it before at some other store.

      Interesting! I've only ever visited one Script store so I don't know a lot about the specifics of that package. I'm not really sure where else it could have come from, and it can't be too old because it says "self-scan" instead of "U-Scan" like the really old signs I've seen at QFC/Fred Meyer.

      Delete

Post a Comment