Pan Dulce

That big self-service case was the highlight of the store for me! I know I'm a bit obsessed with baked goods, but I don't think I've ever seen suck a large spread at any sort of grocery store in the US, and at a fairly cheap price too -- everything in the case was $1.09, something I was so surprised by that I went to a non-self-checkout to make sure I was paying the correct price. I got a piece of cake with icing (which you can just see through the cart in this picture) and a concha, a Mexican pastry that seems to be everywhere (even in mainstream grocery stores) in California. I wish we had something like this around here -- Safeway's and Fred Meyer's bakeries around here pale in comparison while charging much higher prices (QFC is a bit better then them but still worse than this store) -- but at the same time, it's probably better for my health that the bakeries I do really like locally charge enough to stop me from going there all the time!

Considering how reasonably priced everything at this store was, I really wonder what the $349 "special" at the deli counter was for...

Comments

  1. Anonymous in HoustonDecember 13, 2023 at 9:16 PM

    There is certainly a lot of color in this photo! I think I said the same thing yesterday, but in this case, most of the color comes from food itself rather than the floor!

    The bigger Fiesta Marts and El Ranchos here, and also the Food Towns with leased out bakeries, tend to have a lot more in their bakeries than the big chain supermarkets. I find Kroger's bakery goods to be very mediocre so I really only buy baked goods from Randall's if I do buy them, but I will say that I had to buy an apple pie from Kroger for our office Thanksgiving luncheon since Randall's was out and even though it was a cheap pre-made and frozen pie, it was very good. If nothing else, at least Kroger makes a good cheap apple pie, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I don't remember what kind of concha I bought, but it was probably one of the brightly-colored ones!

      Safeway's baked goods have always been hit-and-miss -- before the merger, the bakery was one of the few things where I preferred Albertsons over Safeway. Still, I was happy with Safeway's products for the price until the last few years, when they really started jacking up the prices of their bakery items without any improvements in quality, while also discontinuing a lot of my favorite items (especially breads). These days, it's often possible to get much better stuff from actual bakeries without spending that much more than you would at Safeway around here! And now that I live in a place with a real kitchen, I tend to bake a lot of my own stuff instead.

      Delete

Post a Comment