A return to the former East Puyallup Safeway

On the (long) walk back to the bus from the new Southeast Puyallup Safeway, I just had to swing by the location it replaced. Those of you who have been following me for a long time may recognize this as one of my favorite stores from the Flickr era, the very last Pastel Arches store in Washington. As I guessed at the time, the only reason Safeway had let this ancient store stick around for that long was because they were working on a replacement, and this store closed in 2020 around the same time as the new one opened. The store saw some temporary tenants at first before being converted into Catapult Adventure Park sometime in 2021. 

One day around christmas time in 2021, I was sitting on the couch back home in Port Angeles (I wasn't very good about the whole COVID lockdown thing) with the TV on (as it always seems to be back at home), when this ad popped up on whatever local channel was on at the time. (Well, it was probably a shorter version since I can't imagine them airing a full 2-minute spot as a PSA, but I've already digressed enough!) I had known this store had closed, but thanks to COVID, I hadn't gotten around to revisiting it yet. So I was pretty interested in seeing shots inside of the former store, all emptied out and turned into a warehouse for the local food bank... and even more excited to see that some of the neon, which Safeway hadn't turned on in ages and which I had just assumed wasn't working, was turned on! Here are a couple more links showing a bit more of the former store and the neon. The pink and blue stripes are an interesting look, and don't really seem to fit with any Safeway decor package I've ever seen, which really makes me think this store was originally something else; unfortunately, searching through the Seattle Times archive turns up all sorts of interesting stores that used to be at this shopping center, but no grocery stores (and the library doesn't seem to have archives of more local papers from the right time period).

This store was quite cool on the outside in addition to holding onto a cool decor inside. While the interior is all gone at this point, I'm glad to see that the neat 80s glass facade was left pretty much untouched!


As far as I can tell, the only change that was made here was repainting Safeway's green trim black, and maybe painting the rest of the facade a slightly darker beige.

There may no longer be an S on the glass block, but even Catapult's cheap signs don't harm the look of this place too badly! The rest of the shopping center remains the same, including the old Safeway green paint. Somehow, the Rite Aid is even still open as of the time of this post! 

Anyway, that's it for this bonus post. I'll be gone this weekend again for family stuff, but I should be back on Sunday or Monday (at which point I'll have to figure out what I want to do for about a week before I leave again).

Comments

  1. Anonymous in HoustonDecember 8, 2023 at 12:29 AM

    Maybe it was mentioned before and I just missed it, but I didn't realize that the new Puyallup Safeway replaced this particular Safeway which I've seen you mention before on the blog/Flickr. You know how I feel about the new Safeway, but I'm even more disappointed about how that Safeway looks given what the previous store was like! Oh well, I'm sure most of the Safeway shoppers don't really care how the store looks and they're just happy that there is a new store especially given the older decor the older store had. Granted, I wouldn't view that as a problem, but I don't think the average shopper has the same thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, from a customer perspective, the new store is a big improvement! As cool as the old store was, I would definitely rather shop at the new one.

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty convinced this building wasn't originally a Safeway either. I don't know if you've looked up pictures of the interior of the Habitat for Humanity Restore next door, but that space was clearly lopped off whatever took over the entirety of the Restore/ex-Safeway space when the building was first built (see here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/JRZqN67htjZGu7Qa7). However, I have no idea who the original tenant of this building could have been originally. The ceiling in the Restore looks supermarket like, and I wonder if those squares on the ceiling over the Restore's check lanes are from the decor of whatever was in this space prior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't mentioned the ReStore because it makes things even more confusing! While it really looks like it was cut off the left side of a larger space, the left wall of the Safeway doesn't show any signs of that, and in fact is where all the service departments (and basically all of the neon bits) were, so whatever the origins of the neon are, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with whatever once occupied the combined space!

      After a bit more digging through the Seattle Times archive, it looks like this space may once have been Hogan's Market, but I haven't been able to find anything beyond that. It appears that it was bought by Safeway in 1995 or 96, and I'm guessing that they just gave it a cheap Pastel Arches remodel and otherwise left it as is. That doesn't explain what the deal is with the ReStore space, though!

      Delete
  3. That was great that the food pantry got to use the space rent free temporarily! I hope they have been able to relocate to another sufficiently sized home since the trampoline park took over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was nice! It looks like they've since moved into a new permanent space that's quite a bit smaller than the old Safeway, but still seems to be a big upgrade over their old space.

      Delete

Post a Comment