Scenic views

Stepping outside, I couldn't help but take a picture of the snow-capped rolling hills in the background. This is far from the most scenic thing I saw on this trip, or even the best view from a Safeway parking lot that I've seen, but it's still pretty nice! Those street lights in the parking lot are seriously weird, too. 

As I mentioned at the start of the set, the street in the background is the state line between Washington and Idaho, meaning the Safeway sign is the very first thing you would see upon entering Washington on US 2. McDonald's is on the Washington side of the line, while AutoZone is in Idaho. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry (as I always am while on vacation) and didn't walk over to the Idaho side; if I had, I would have seen this very strange notice telling people not to post "personal info" on the Safeway sign.

Comments

  1. Anonymous in HoustonOctober 7, 2023 at 9:36 PM

    I'm sure you've seen this before, perhaps many times before, but one of the neat things about crossing into Oregon from Washington on I-5 is that one of the first things to greet you in Oregon is this ancient Denny's sign on Jantzen Beach! Link: https://maps.app.goo.gl/agvses64sncwKcQa6

    Granted, as neat as that Denny's sign is, I think this scenery on the Washington-Idaho side of the state is neater, or at least more beautiful! That is a neat photo even with that ugly grey box McBrow in the center!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a spot I've been many times! Jantzen Beach used to have a cool little mall, including a two-level P97 Target, which was sadly torn down around 10 years ago. The neon sign for the mall is still there (though sadly without the old incandescent variable message portion), and the other side of the highway has the historic "eat now at Waddle's" sign (now JayBee's Chicken; thankfully no longer Hooters) and used to have a weird old Safeway. Jantzen Beach is somewhere we used to stop at all the time since it's the first place across the border in to Oregon, meaning no sales tax!

      Delete

Post a Comment