Old self checkouts, new customer service

Apart from cosmetics, the only other part of the store that Target consistently does at least try to make look nice is the customer service counter, which gets glossy red walls on one side and wood paneling on the other. The latter half is home to the baby/wedding registry section, featuring fancy kiosks for people to use for their registries; I have no idea how these work because I've never once seen someone using one, even though I spend more time than I would want hanging around Target customer service counters, waiting (and waiting and waiting) for someone to get my pickup order (and wishing that those registry kiosks were used for pickup instead, like what some Walmarts have). Surprisingly, Target left the tiny self checkout section as is, not even replacing the generic cubes with the edge-lit signs they use these days (the snack bar's self checkout machine has the new-style sign).

Comments

  1. At the Target I shop at most frequently (not that I shop there frequently), customer service is actually in a little semi-enclosed room off of the vestibule! It was a strange setup Target used in the late 1990s, but really, even the late 1970s/early 1980s stores here used a somewhat similar setup. Anyway, the point is that the customer service area is actually somewhat hidden from the rest of the front-end.

    I've never used online pickup anywhere other than Sears! That said, it has been a number of years, but I have used the gift registry kiosk at Target before. I really can't even remember the whole process behind it, but I don't have any nightmares about it so I guess it was somewhat painless. It must have been around a decade ago!

    In my last few visits to Target, there has been an abundance of brown cardboard boxes on hand trucks near the front end kind of like what is visible here. I've actually seen it look worse than what it looks like here. It really is quite unsightly especially for a retailer once known for a good in-store presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've shopped at a few Targets with that enclosed customer service setup, but they aren't all that common these days! I think they've removed those in at least some stores when they got their P17 remodels.

      I use online pickup all the time at Target because you can frequently get lower prices that way, avoiding the higher prices they charge at Seattle stores. I've never used a gift registry anywhere, though!

      Yeah, I'm not sure what that's about, but it's a bit of a mess. Targets also often have a bunch of pickup orders haphazardly placed around the front end -- some stores got better storage areas with their P17 remodels, but not all of them!

      Delete

Post a Comment