In-store dining, Marina style

The other one, which is labeled as being the Admiral Safeway, is a fun shot of the bakery and lunch counter inside what appears to have been a brand-new Marina store -- that must have felt like a massive upgrade compared to the tiny store in the previous photo! The picture below is another one that was apparently from this store, presumably from a later date, which I downloaded from Flickr a while back before it was apparently purged, so I can no longer figure out what the source actually was. Is it just me, or does the lettering in this decor look rather similar to that used in Lifestyle v1?

Comments

  1. I've seen that bottom photo before as well, but I can't remember where or the context of it. I think someone in the Houston retail community found it at the Pleasant Family Shopping Facebook page or something and sent it to the group, but I'm not sure. It's amazing how much general merchandise they could fit into a Marina store back then! There certainly have been trends calling for all-upper and all-lowercase lettering over the years.

    That snack bar photo reminds me of this photo of an Abilene, TX Safeway Marina snack bar in 1960 that I shared with you probably back in 2021. Things look a little different between the two snack bars, but I'll let you decide which one you like better! Link: https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth58903/m1/1/

    Anyway, it is neat that Safeway is memorializing their previous locations like that since most retailers completely forget about their old locations. At my local Randall's, they have old photos, but they are of an old mid-century Albertsons in Idaho, I guess, and a pre-1966 Randall's that wasn't even affiliated with the 1966-1999 Randall's chain that Safeway bought, lol. Oh well, I guess some historical flair is better than none at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel like I've seen that picture in multiple places, but I can't seem to find it online anywhere anymore!

      Cool! Interesting how that store doesn't have the bakery and snack bar combined like this one does... I wonder if that was a regional thing or something that changed over time.

      Quite a few of the newer Safeways around here have vintage pictures showing older, presumably-local stores, either stand-alone pictures like this or as part of the larger local historic photo collages that the early 00s stores got. It is quite a nice touch!

      Delete

Post a Comment