Even the crosswalks fit the theme

The part of this mall's design that really gives it that "wow factor" (I hate that phrase) for me isn't the building itself, but all of the theming here. Tsawwassen Mills is owned by the local First Nation, and unlike the Seattle-area Native-owned (outlet) malls (which are super generic), they very much leaned into the Coast Salish artistic style here. That's something I noticed a lot in Vancouver, compared with Seattle where you hardly ever see anything with a Native American aesthetic, which I've always found sad. (Not sure if it's related to that "cultural appropriation" nonsense or what, but either way, I wish there was as much to celebrate the area's Native heritage is there is for, say, Nordic heritage in Ballard.)

 

(I think this might be a record for number of parentheticals in one short post!)

Comments