Welcome to the Sunset (Portland) Safeway!

Well, Portland-ish. It has a Portland address but seems to be outside of the city limits, and I'm not in the mood to dig around to figure out if it's part of any incorporated city or not. 


This store seems to have been built in the late 90s, as a replacement for one built sometime in the 60s, though there's a chance it might have been just an expansion of that original store -- I can't quite tell from historic aerials. It was most recently remodeled in 2018 (I'm very glad that Street View captured the remodel in progress so I can know exactly when it happened), and that's where things got interesting for this store. 


Ugh, it really irritates me how I cut off the P in "Pharmacy" in this picture! I think I was trying to capture the strange cart corral off to the right, but still.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you did get what you got on the right side because it's rather unusual, for me at least, to see a McDonald's sitting so close to a supermarket like that! It's not just any McDonald's, but it looks like an old McMansard as well. While there are a few of those left over here, they're pretty rare these days and are becoming even more and more rare as each year passes.

    The presence of a Subaru in a Portland photo, whether it's really in Portland or not, is much less of a surprise than the McDonald's, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is a bit odd -- at first I thought it was one that was halfway modernized based on the color scheme, but it looks like it's been like that for quite some time.

      We just have to live up to our stereotypes in the northwest! 😉

      Delete

Post a Comment