The supply chain is even coming for our donuts

This was the first store that I saw this odd "Limited donut selection due to supply issues" sign in, which soon popped up in every Safeway and stayed there for several months. It's hard to imagine what sort of supply chain issues would impact donuts, of all things, but I did read this interesting article just today talking about how many ingredients processed foods have, where if only one of them is hard to find, the whole process falls apart. (I try to make most foods by scratch myself, but even I had issues finding ingredients -- particularly bread flour -- for quite a while during COVID).

Comments

  1. The font they used for that "Limited Donut Selection" sign is quite festive given that it is delivering bad news! Oh well, at least they didn't use Comic Sans I suppose, lol.

    I actually did not notice the donut shortage. Then again, I rarely buy donuts and so I rarely have a reason to look at the donut case, lol. I wouldn't have expected a donut shortage, but I suppose stranger shortages have happened.

    On the donut front, and since Canadian retail has been a topic here lately, Tim Hortons has just opened their first Houston location. While I have eaten at Tim Hortons in Canada, I can't say I'm too excited about this recent development, but I suppose it'll be good news for the Canadians in town and for the many people from Alberta who come to visit Houston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That seems to be one of Safeway's favorite accent fonts these days. I don't buy Safeway donuts very often at all either (I miss pre-merger Albertsons donuts), but they tend to have donut cases in fairly prominent locations, so I noticed the signs even though I wasn't actually looking for donuts.

      Wow -- I didn't realize Tim Hortons had spread past the northeast in the US! I remember when Tim Hortons donuts were very good and a highlight of any Canadian trip for me, but they've sure gone downhill over the past 10-15 years.

      Delete

Post a Comment