Zigzag

The cases here are rather mismatched -- I'm guessing the ones in this picture were added by H Mart while the others were original to QFC, but they both have those retro light boxes above them, so... I'm really not sure. Also, I had always assumed the seafood department was a H Mart addition, but looking closely at this picture, I can see QFC wood paneling poking out around the newer H Mart decor, so I guess it's more original than I had thought. I suppose that isn't too surprising -- some QFCs had separate meat and seafood departments, and since this store is so much larger than the average QFC, it makes sense it would have had that. (Of course, most of the elaborate fixtures here are surely an H Mart thing!) 


This will be my last post for a little while -- I'm heading out tomorrow for a vacation up to Vancouver (BC... I'm soon going to have posts from both Vancouvers on here, uh oh!) and should be back to posting on the 4th of July. I had originally planned this as a retail road trip (stealing a phrase from Retail Retell), but that's kind of falling apart... it's now going to be a retail bus trip, because my parents' car that I was going to borrow broke down and won't be getting fixed in time (or at all, most likely, since they're in the process of buying a new car) and I didn't feel like spending $1000+ for a rental car for the week (holy cow, rental car prices are crazy right now)... and I'm not entirely sure how much retail I'm going to get to either, between the lack of a car (which isn't a great excuse, since Vancouver has an amazing transit network compared to basically anywhere in the US) and my current mental health issues that I've mentioned previously that have been making it difficult for me. But there are certainly some interesting things that I'm looking forward to being able to show you eventually, especially when it comes to what's left of Safeway Canada!

Comments

  1. Have fun in Canada! I wish I could go there right about now as it is about 100 F here in Houston pretty much everyday (at least there is some rain in the forecast for next week which might bring the temperatures down a bit), but going to Canada from here is probably a lot more expensive than it is for you!

    It'll be interesting to see what the state of Safeway (non-Safeway) Canada these days if you get a chance to visit one. I know it was very strange seeing a Lifestyle v2 IGA in Banff a few years ago when I went there! I'm not sure what retail you'll be able to see, but maybe you'll be able to stop at something interesting like a London Drugs or Canadian Tire at the very least.

    The one retailer in Vancouver I really wanted to see, Sikora's Classical Records, closed in late 2018. That's a bummer, but it wasn't surprising that it closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! It's going to be in the upper 80s in Vancouver (and Seattle) this weekend -- better than 100, but still way too hot for Northwesterners!

      Yeah, there's certainly a lot of interesting stuff in Canada! I had forgotten about London Drugs, but Shoppers Drug Mart is one that was on my list. Canadian Tire and Real Canadian Superstore have some locations that look interesting too!

      Delete
  2. I hope you have a fun and safe vacation! I also hope the struggles evaporate soon. I hate that you're going through that. I'm always around if you want to talk.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment