Outdated Express

 

The first department within the Market Street Cafe area is the Asian foods counter, labelled as "Orient Express", a bizarrely outdated name to see in a decor package from the 2000s. I know that "Orient" was a common term for a time, but it seems to have fallen out of favor by the late 20th century, and I can't remember the last time I saw or heard it used outside of historical or derogatory contexts. On a more practical level, it's quite unusual to see a completely dedicated Asian foods counter at a typical grocery store, but Haggen often split up their prepared foods departments like this, while grouping them under the Market Street Cafe brand.

Comments

  1. Perhaps someone at Haggen was a frequent flyer of the old Northwest Orient Airlines! Link: https://kubrick.htvapps.com/htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/images/rawimage-1515088325818775419.jpg?resize=900:*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My first long-haul flight was on Northwest (long after they dropped the Orient part of their name, which I think is part of why that word feels so old-fashioned to me), way back in 2002 or so and on a DC-10, I believe. I had to look up where that photo was taken, since the mountain looked wrong to me -- turns out, it's Mt St Helens before the eruption! (I was surprised to see that the Northwest Orient name outlived St Helens looking like this by several years!)

      Delete

Post a Comment