Shoe store

The shoe department has a small space next to clothing, back under the lower ceiling. (The lighting is also different between the two sections, with bright strip lighting in the central area and dim eggcrate lighting on this side.) It appears that this area was once home to "Freddy's Toy World", and I suspect the shoe fixtures were moved here from somewhere else in the store without being modified, hence why they seem to stick out into the actionway. 

I'm going to archive some of the more interesting Google Maps photos of this store by including them in my posts, since the links frequently break or the images disappear.



Comments

  1. The 'Pharmacy' and 'Freddy's Toy World' signs look a lot like the 1980s Kmart orange stripe department names: https://houstonhistoricretail.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Kmart_1987-300x248.jpg

    Then again, I suppose a lot of discount stores at that time used something similar with sans-serif lettering in all caps. It's certainly a very 1980s look!

    It's also odd seeing shoes in what looks like a supermarket, but I suppose that grand opening ad from my local Safeway from 1980 indicated that the Safeway had a shoe department at one time so I suppose shoes for sale in something that looks like a supermarket isn't too unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're quite generic -- I'm sure there are a lot of stores that used similar-looking signs.

      Ha! In my opinion, this is one of the least grocery store-looking Fred Meyers out there...

      Delete

Post a Comment