Off-center electronics

It also looks like the electronics department was partially redone at some point, since the diamond sign structure is quite off-center within the space, and the wall to the right looks relatively new. I believe this is where the Clicklist (sorry, Pickup) staging room is, but it's unusual to see Fred Meyer make a major layout change like this to accommodate Pickup without doing a larger remodel at the same time. (I'm also curious what's going on with the wall sign, since it's off-center with both the diamond sign and the electronics space.)

Comments

  1. Did this Fred Meyer actually still sell music when you took this photo? It's a bit odd that they have music on there, but not video and video games. Oh well, I suppose shoppers probably got the point even if they might have had videos and video games and not any CDs!

    Speaking of video games, I suppose I'll leak a video from the 'Best of the Rest' list of my next blog post about the Texas History videos. Here's a video showing the video game display at Toys R Us in 1981. Of course, while Fred Meyer may or may not still sell video games, we know Toys R Us does not because they no longer exist! Actually, even the Toys R Us reboot, of which there were two stores and one in Houston, went out of business earlier this year. Oh well. Link: https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1283419/m1/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know. Looking online seems to indicate that they sell video games but not music, but I don't think I've ever actually been in a Fred Meyer electronics department, just walked by like when I took this picture.

      Delete

Post a Comment