Up and out

Rather than leaving by that obvious door, let's jump up to that rooftop parking level! (I actually entered this way and left out the front, hence the awkward transitions in to and out from this store, but you probably don't care about that... 🙂) The rooftop parking was a somewhat strange choice, requiring the extra-substantial structure visible in the store below (this almost looked like it could have been the ground floor of a mixed-use development), but I suppose it was the easiest choice with the topography of this site, with the main street on the bottom end of the lot (the reverse of the Ballard or Roosevelt locations). I mostly took this picture to show the juxtaposition of the "now hiring" banner off to the left with the store closing sale posters on the right, something that's become a Sears/Kmart stereotype but which I was surprised to see here. I'm sure Safeway doesn't have any shortage of positions at other stores to transfer workers to, though, as they don't exactly pay enough to allow their workers to live in the area.

On another note, it's October 1st, so it's time for some music recommendations! This month's selection is Phantogram, a east coast-based band that's been around for about a decade now. Pretty much all their music is very good, and I'd expect them to show up again here in the future. Probably my favorite of their albums is Big Grams, which is a collaboration with (of all people) Big Boi, the rapper. The concept sounds weird, but it is actually quite successful. Since that's just an EP, I'm also going to mention Phantogram's two newest songs, Mister Impossible and Into Happiness, which apparently aren't part of any future album, but I certainly hope a new album will show up sooner or later!

Comments